Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi
Adventure Beyond the Border

Friday, July 5, 2013

The Process

Ok! So there is a lot to do before I start my new adventure in Abu Dhabi. From putting my affairs in order at home before I leave and getting things together that I must have for my travels. It is a lot when you are actually making a move and not just going on vacation.

Home:

The question is "what will I do with my house?" I don't want to sell it or let it go. I don't know if leasing it is an option because where will my son and I stay when we are not out of the country or away at school, respectively? Not a lot of options her. I wish I had a close friend or someone I knew who needed a place to stay. They could house sit while we are away and be our roommate when we are home. That would be the perfect scenario however we do not live in a perfect world. So this dilemma is tabled for now!

Bills:

I need to cancel things like cable and the garbage. Place everything else on paperless billing and then do something with my mail. Not sure if I will put in a forwarding address or simply get a safe deposit box that my son can check periodically for me. Go part is I do not get a lot of mail in the first place. My cell phone will be down graded since I will not be able to use it overseas and I recent signed up with Magic Jack Plus. I was informed that this will allow me to speak to family and friends back in the states without worrying about international rates. It is like they are calling me at the house...now how cool is that? I created myself a spreadsheet to keep me focused and on track with payoff bills and saving money. My ultimate goal is to come back home debt free and with a nice savings. Staying focused and not spending a lot of unnecessary funds is the key. I'm on a mission!!!

Travel:

I'm not sure when I will actually be leaving. My departure webinar provided me with a lot of good information and only a window of when I may be traveling. It if all goes well I will be leaving mid-August. I am excited about this opportunity however it is bitter-sweet. I will miss my mom and my boys a lot as well as my friend. We have been together for 11 months now and being away from him will be challenging but not impossible. I know God would not have laid this opportunity on my heart if it was not meant for me to pursue. He is very supportive and what is meant to be will be no mater the distance between us.  Sorry! I kind of got off track. Ok! back to travel. I have a lot of packing to do and haven't even started. There are plenty of things I will not be taking with me because out of my respect for the culture I will not wear them there. I have several long dresses and skirts that I will be taking. I need to purchase light sweaters, shawls, and shirts that cover my chest and arms. Toiletries, hair products, and any other special items I desire need to be purchased here and taken with me.

The flight is about 15 hours long and I believe that is only if I do not have a layover. I will be leaving from Atlanta. I've never flown longer than 5 hrs and that was to Seattle, Washington for a cruise to Alaska. Loved the cruise didn't care for the flight. This flight will obviously be more taxing and challenging for me. The destination is worth it though. I will be put up in a hotel upon arrival until they get my housing situated. I pray that I am placed either in Al Ain or Abu Dhabi. Don't have a desire to be in any rural area away from everything.

I plan to visit other places while there but will have to be in the budget or I will be enjoying all that Abu Dhabi has to offer. One place I will go is Dubai though since it is so close to where I will be teaching.

Til next time

No comments:

Post a Comment